
Growing up my parents had an apricot tree in our backyard. This tree did not have a problem producing fruit. It produced so much fruit that we couldn’t pick them off the tree fast enough before they would fall to the ground and make a mess on the lawn. Of course our job as kids was to pick up the spoiled fruit off the lawn. It was a stinky, sticky mess. Despite the smell and stickiness I enjoyed those apricots and still do. With all those apricots my mom would make apricot jam. I loved loved loved apricot jam and still do. It is my favorite on peanut butter sandwiches – yummmm.
Last year I wanted to make apricot jam but decided too late as they were all gone from the fruit stands. This year I had mentioned to Jon that I would like to make apricot jam and then one Saturday he calls me up and informs me that he and his dad had stopped at a fruit stand and they had apricots and asked if I wanted a box. Of course I said yes but soon after hanging up the phone I then realized all the work that I would have to do in the coming week to get the jam made.
When Jon got home he suggested that since we weren’t doing anything else that day that we just go ahead and make the jam and that his dad would be able to help us. How could I say no to two helpers? Jon washed and cut up the apricots, Jon’s dad crushed the fruit and helped me with the actual making of the jam. It made a mess of my kitchen (canning always does that) but it only took us about 2-3 hours. Altogether we got 23 pints of jam and then 17 trays of fruit leather.
I have strawberry, raspberry and apricot jam; now all I’m missing is the grape jelly.
9 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment